From Ate Douma <...@douma.nu>
Subject Re: [J2] Menu implementation
Date Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:46:41 GMT

Ate Douma wrote:

> David Sean Taylor wrote:
>

>> On Jun 22, 2004, at 10:58 AM, Ate Douma wrote:
>>

>>> *Page Decorator*
>>> A Page Decorator renders the border (including header and footer) and
>>> possibly one or more menus around the Page content
>>> as well as the layout of the Fragments output from a Page (e.g.
>>> column or row wise, single/maximized).
>>> Menu rendering (if supported) is delegated by the Page Decorator to a
>>> Menu Decorator. If more than one menu is supported
>>> a Menu Decorator must be defined for each. Also, explicitly
>>> suppressing the rendering of one or more menus must be
>>> possible.
>>>

>>> *Page Decoration* (or skin)
>>> A Page Decoration supplies a css style and optionally image
>>> references to be used by a Page Decorator.
>>> Furthermore, a Page Decoration can supply default css styles and
>>> optionally image references to be used by Menu
>>> Decorators and Portlet Decorators.
>>>
>> The terms "Decorator" and "Decoration" are very close and may lead to
>> confusion
>
> They are already used and described in design doc "j2 Layout and
> decorator handling.pdf"
I need to correct myself. Those terms are described in the above mentioned document but not
with the same meaning.
I agree: the terms as I used them are confusing.

Maybe skin or style is more appropriate instead of Decoration?
I also thought of 'theme' but that seems to cover more. Maybe decorators and skins together
could be called that.