From Ate Douma <...@douma.nu>
Subject Re: AW: [J2] Access to ComponentManager from a portlet application
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2004 20:50:38 GMT

David Sean Taylor wrote:

> On Jun 4, 2004, at 11:57 AM, Ate Douma wrote:
>
>> +1.
>> I also kind of like the Portlet Service Framework of GridSphere, which
>> they adapted from IBM WebSphere portal.
>> They have a more formal api which also allows services between
>> (external) portlets.
>> GridSphere doc about it:
>> http://www.gridsphere.org/gridsphere/docs/ReferenceGuide/ch06s01.html
>>
>> As we are currently not ready to support something that fancy yet, I
>> fully support the current proposal.
>> Still, a services api between portlets really would be neat which I
>> would like to see in the future as well.
>> And, something like that might be defined in a future spec...
>>

> The next rev of the spec addresses inter-portlet communication, so we
> don't want to get to fancy here
I agree. But if we gonna need something like that before the next rev is available I would
prefer to have implemented
something ourselves with some likelyhood to what can be expected.
Although I don't have any information how the next rev is going to define this, IBM's implementation
will certainly be
considered for it (just as the current spec has been).