From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: [J2] Menu implementation
Date Fri, 18 Jun 2004 22:23:47 GMT

On Jun 18, 2004, at 2:57 PM, Ate Douma wrote:

> David Sean Taylor wrote:

>>> Yes. I know.
>>> But I still don't know where to specify an ACL on a subfolder, or in
>>> which
>>> order I want my pages / subfolders be displayed in a menu (other than
>>> alphabetically).
>> A subfolder is just a page (PSML) right?
> Wow. I didn't get that one yet.
> I have the impression Scott wants to derive folders directly from
> filesystem folders.

I think Im following more now.
I'll try to make some clearer definitions:

Folders are not pages.
Folders are containers
Folders have menus
Folders do not have fragments

> His comment on 6/16/2004:
> >> Do I understand it now correctly that folders (for a file based
> Page Manager)
> >> are simply derived from filesystem folders?
> > That is how I see it.  Or possibly using a VFS file system.
> Furthermore, how would that psml look like? If a folder is a page, a
> folder
> contains pages, and pages are all defined in their own psml you need
> external
> references to define containment...

Well I think you are trying to say that a folder is not a page.
I wasn't trying to suggest that it was; I was more trying to express my
understanding of what I thought you were proposing
As for external references, I still have the requirement for that. See
my requirement example

>> So the ACL is on the page in its respective PSML file
>> For ordering, you need some metadata on the top level page
>>> And, menu rendering depth probably will be the same for all pages
>>> within
>>> a folder (and even pages within subfolders thereof).
>>> Seems kinda strange to have to define this on each and every page.
>> I think I misunderstand this. Wouldn't the menu for a page only have
>> the menu-items from the immediate subpages (by default) below it?
>> The user could then add or remove(disable) as needed
> Normally not.
> Consider a menu of depth 2 (Scott's example).
> If I'm on a page from depth 1 and navigate to a page from depth2
> wouldn't I want
> to see the exact same menu (only indicating a different selection).
> And if I navigate to a page from depth 3 I probably again want to see
> the same
> menu. The parent folder (depth 2) menu item should then be selected.
> A tree type menu (on the left) of unlimited depth starting from depth
> 3 would then
> indicate the current page selection.
> This is only one use case but a valid and a very common one I think.

Menus can be defined at 1..n levels in a folder
The use case makes it clear now