From David Le Strat <dlest...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: LDAP-support in jetspeed-1 and jetspeed-2
Date Thu, 10 Jun 2004 02:31:51 GMT
Patrick,

The J2 authentication security model is completely
JAAS based, so even though we don't currently have an
LDAP implementation, supporting LDAP for
authentication is quite straightforward.  You
basically need an LDAP LoginModule.

For user management, supporting LDAP would require
providing LDAP support to the user manager.

Supporting LDAP, for user profile values and
authorization would require more work and will
probably not be supported in the first release of J2
unless someone steps up to the plate.

Regarding profile values, I think we could leverage
the PropertyManager to define property set mapping to
a specific data store.  The PropertyManager helps
defining the properties that are available through the
User profile. The API wrapping access to those
properties is the Preferences API.  That would allow
us to introduce a unified user profile of some sort
aggregating properties mapping to various datastores.

Regarding authorization, LDAP support would require
creating a LDAP implementation of most of the security
managers (Role, Group).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

David.

--- Patrick von der Hagen <patrick@wudika.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I'm currently investigating wheter jetspeed is
> suitable for an planned
> portal-installation but sadly it does not meet our
> expectations
> regarding LDAP-integration. For example jetspeed
> requires read-ability
> on the user-passwords and does not integrate easily
> with existing
> LDAP-raesources (and that's exactly the reason
anyone