From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: [J2] Menu implementation
Date Fri, 25 Jun 2004 18:26:05 GMT

On Jun 24, 2004, at 2:06 AM, Grinshtein, Artem wrote:

> Hello,
>
> the concept of folders and pages is great!
>
> I'm not sure I completely understand need of a menu decorator and a
> folder configuration.
> I think, menu can be implemented as jetspeed-specific portlet that
> uses a "PageAndFolderService" to find Folder elements for current
> page.
> The folder configuration can be obtained from the portlet preferences.

+1 on the service (component), although we already have a Profiler and
PageManager service
Perhaps PageAndFolderService is really a combination of the Profiler
and the PageManager, with some enhancements
The profiler now has an API to search over pages, I think it could be
extended to support Folders

> The advantage of this is that we don't mix structure and presentation
> of folders, we keep psml simple, it's easy to develop new types of
> menu (it's ~only~ a portlet), position of the menu on the page can be
> changed (using Customizer) and the menu can be configured using edit
> mode of the portlet.

I like the idea of menu portlets, I started designing a prototype in J1
with menus + forwards, but never completed it

I also like the Scott's concept of folders automatically having menus
of sub contents, with no customization required
Very powerful concept since the user gets a lot of built-in navigation
without an effort
I think we should concentrate on implementing this first, although Im
not opposed to menu portlets

Preferences can be stored to save a user's (or default) preferences for
menu ordering, hiding, links etc

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software