From Scott T Weaver <scotts-jetspeed-l...@binary-designs.net>
Subject Re: [J2] Caching of entites and windows becoming an issue
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2004 16:30:19 GMT
On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 11:52, David Sean Taylor wrote:
> On Jun 30, 2004, at 8:12 AM, Scott T Weaver wrote:
>
> > We are caching both PortletEntities and PortletWindows.
> >
> > This is becoming a serious issue with regards to re-deployment breaking
> > because of stale objects within misc. caches.
> >
> Could you explain this serious issue in a little more detail?
> I can't re-deploy here, because of a resource leak holding on to the
> jar file
>
> Its not clear what exactly the problem is from your description above,
> or if its related to the resource leak bug
> Is it because the portlet gets a new id, and the entity still points to
> the old id?
Yep, that's it.  It would be nice if we could use unique name as an FK
instead of the PK.  Right now, when the entity goes to retrieve its
assoc. portlet def, after redeploy,  it fails as the PK has changed.

> If the portlet knew about all of its entities, it could invalidate them
I am invalidating entities, but because the cached window holds onto an
instance of the portlet entity BOTH caches need to be invalidated.  I
already added methods to the PortletEntityComponent to remove entities
from the cache just passing it a PortletApp.

Actually, IMOHO, redeployment should not delete the associated
entities.  The reason being is that every time you redeploy an app all
of the user prefs get blown away.

> > 1. (Not so good approach) Expose both window and entity caches as
> > components so that they are accessible by any components that need to
> > manipulate the caches, like deployment.
> >
> > 2. (Better approach) Same as above, but use a single cache via a
> > caching
> > api like OSCache, http://www.opensymphony.com/oscache/
> >

> Funny you mention that, I reviewed Open Symphony's oscache last night
> I was looking into putting a cache into the Profiler after looking at
> the Proxy Tools bug that Jeremy reported
>
> There is also
>
> http://jcache.sourceforge.net/
Don't know much about it.  Are there many other projects using it?

> and from Apache
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/jcs/
TMK, JCS has never had a release and from what I have read on web,
people who were using JCS are moving to OSCache, for example, Hibernate
is moving from JCS to OSCache.

As Hibernate has become the defacto OS O/R, OSCache appears to become
defacto OS caching api, AFAICT.

*           Scott T. Weaver              *
*         <weaver@apache.org>            *
*     <http://www.einnovation.com>       *
*   Apache Jetspeed Enterprise Portal    *
*     Apache Pluto Portlet Container     *
* OpenEditPro, Website Content Mangement *
*     <http://www.openeditpro.com>       *