From Scott T Weaver <scotts-jetspeed-l...@binary-designs.net>
Subject Re: [J2] Using FileSystem PAM from web app class loader
Date Mon, 21 Jun 2004 14:31:26 GMT
Hi Serge,

Is this exception coming from auto-deployment?  Because I am not having
any issues with deployment.  I made PreferenceProviderImpl Startable so
this wouldn't happen, maybe this doesn't address all possible scenarios
though.

On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 10:23, Serge Huber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having some problem using the FileSystemPAM from within a web app
> context (seems to work in the tests, which use the system class loader).
>
> Basically I get the following exception :
>
> java.lang.InternalError: Can't instantiate Preferences factory
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> org.apache.jetspeed.prefs.impl.PreferencesFactoryImpl
>
>          at java.util.prefs.Preferences.<clinit>(Preferences.java:204)
>          at
> org.apache.jetspeed.om.preference.impl.PrefsPreference.createPrefenceNode(PrefsPreference.java:540)
>          at
> org.apache.jetspeed.om.preference.impl.PrefsPreference.<init>(PrefsPreference.java:73)
>          at
> org.apache.jetspeed.util.descriptor.PortletPreferenceRule.end(PortletPreferenceRule.java:74)
>          at org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.endElement(Digester.java:1058)
>          at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.endElement(Unknown
> Source)
>          at
> org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanEndElement(Unknown
> Source)
>          at
> org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDispatcher.dispatch(Unknown

> Source)
>          at
> Source)
>          at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
>          at org.apache.xerces.parsers.DTDConfiguration.parse(Unknown Source)
>          at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
>          at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
>          at org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:1586)
>          at
> org.apache.jetspeed.util.descriptor.PortletApplicationDescriptor.createPortletApplication(PortletApplicationDescriptor.java:146)
>          at
> org.apache.jetspeed.util.descriptor.PortletApplicationWar.createPortletApp(PortletApplicationWar.java:213)
>          at
> org.apache.jetspeed.tools.pamanager.FileSystemPAM.registerApplication(FileSystemPAM.java:346)
>          at
> org.apache.jetspeed.tools.pamanager.FileSystemPAM.sysDeploy(FileSystemPAM.java:297)
>          at
> org.apache.jetspeed.tools.pamanager.FileSystemPAM.deploy(FileSystemPAM.java:89)
>
> I looked at the JDK's source and found the following code when loading the
> PreferenceFactory implementation :
>
>              factory = (PreferencesFactory)
>                 Class.forName(factoryName, false,
>                               ClassLoader.getSystemClassLoader()).newInstance();
>
> If this means what I think it does, the preference factory may only be
> loaded from the root class loader, which means that we would need to deploy
> the jetspeed-prefs*.jar into Tomcat's classpath or something.
>
> Is this analysis correct ? If so, how to we get around this ?

> [...]

Regards,
*           Scott T. Weaver              *
*         <weaver@apache.org>            *
*     <http://www.einnovation.com>       *
*   Apache Jetspeed Enterprise Portal    *
*     Apache Pluto Portlet Container     *
* OpenEditPro, Website Content Mangement *
*     <http://www.openeditpro.com>       *