From Scott T Weaver <scotts-jetspeed-l...@binary-designs.net>
Subject Re: [J2] Menu implementation
Date Sat, 19 Jun 2004 13:41:18 GMT
On Fri, 2004-06-18 at 17:41, David Sean Taylor wrote:

> >> If you look at the current PSML, ACLs are defined on the page and
> >> fragment level
> > Yes. I know.
> > But I still don't know where to specify an ACL on a subfolder, or in
> > which
> > order I want my pages / subfolders be displayed in a menu (other than
> > alphabetically).
>
> A subfolder is just a page (PSML) right?
No.  It is a physical folder.  We would probably need some meta-data to
describe it though.

So the ACL is on the page in its respective PSML file

> For ordering, you need some metadata on the top level page
Well, probably in the folder meta-data.  However, when users customize
the order of a folder, we should store this as user preferences

> > And, menu rendering depth probably will be the same for all pages
> > within
> > a folder (and even pages within subfolders thereof).
> > Seems kinda strange to have to define this on each and every page.
>
> I think I misunderstand this. Wouldn't the menu for a page only have
> the menu-items from the immediate subpages (by default) below it?
> The user could then add or remove(disable) as needed
Navigation has nothing to do with the page itself.  Navigation is based
on the resources (folders and pages) the the user currently has access
to.

> > Menus based on folder navigation really are somewhat 'above' pages and
> > even
> > folders.
> > I don't want to update all of them just to increase/decrease the depth.
> >
> Im sorry but I don't understand what you are saying here

Again, a page has no need to know anything about navigation as it
doesn't and shouldn't have any control over it.

> >> Why not have menu metadata in the PSML?
> > See above why that may not be so nice...
> >
> You lost me again. Do you mean immediately above?
> The whole point of PSML is that has a model that can be customized.
> When you customize, you manipulate PSML

Yes for customizing an individual page, not the navigational hierarchy.