From Scott T Weaver <scotts-jetspeed-l...@binary-designs.net>
Subject Re: [J2] Prefs impl does not support adding properties in a transparent way.
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2004 20:35:14 GMT
I was able to able make modifications to the prefs api to exclude paths
provided in a String[] in the constructor.

However, I am not happy with this solution.  David, I know you spent a
lot of time on the PropertyManager, but I think it might be overkill.  I
don't see where a user having a set of properties in a node that differs
from another user's would cause an issue, that's why you can supply a
default in the get*() methods ;).

IMOHO, prefs should not force the type referential integrity we are
currently enforcing with the property manager.  What I gather from the
javadoc, Prefs represent a generic storage mechanism that can be
tailored on a per user basis.

I also feel we should store all values as Strings relative to the DB and
let Prefs api do the type conversion as opposed to storing the values in
typed columns as we do now.