From Scott T Weaver <scotts-jetspeed-l...@binary-designs.net>
Subject Re: [J2] Prefs impl does not support adding properties in a transparent way.
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2004 12:53:05 GMT
Hi David,

Here is my issue.  A portlet can have any number of preferences and
those preferences can have any number of values.  For supporting
multiple values, I took the approach of each preference being a node and
it's values being any number properties (keyed: 1..n) within that node,
so you can see where having the property manager all the time would
really start to become a pain plus it exposes our implementation, which,
IMOHO, is a bad idea.

There are default preferences that come with a Portlet in its descriptor
and there are per entity/user preferences that will default to those in
deployment descriptor.  However, a portlet is not limited to those
defined in the portlet.xml i.e. more could be added my an admin or the
user themselves.  So, as you can see, a user's set of preferences could
differ from those provided in the deployment descriptor.

I think I would be happy with being able to exclude entire nodes and
their descendants from the PortetManager restriction.

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 22:48, David Le Strat wrote:
> Scott,
>
> The reason, I introduced this restriction was to be
> able to tie preferences to property sets and enforce
> consistency in the properties of a user profile for
> instance.
>
> I am not sure we would want to find yourself in a
> situation where user A has property 1, 2, 3 on their
> profile and user B property 1, 2, 6 and no consistency
> in the definition of the profile properties.
>
> Now, there are other ways to enforce that kind of
> consistency that to enforce it at the prefs layer.  If
> this is causing an issue, I am +1 on making changes,
> as long as we keep in mind the point mentioned above.
>
> Regards,
>
> David.
>
> --- Scott T Weaver
> <scotts-jetspeed-list@binary-designs.net> wrote:
> > Why do we have to PropertyManager.addPropertyKeys()
> > to be able to add
> > properties to a node?  I do no see anywhere in the
> > java.util.Prefs docs
> > where this a requirement.  Right now this has become
> > a large road block
> > in converting Portlet preferences to uses our Prefs
> > impl.  I do not want
> > to manually add allowed properties every time a new
> > value is added to a
> > portlet preference.
> >
> > I vote +1 on removing this restriction.
> >
> > Regards,
> > --
> > *           Scott T. Weaver              *
> > *         <weaver@apache.org>            *
> > *     <http://www.einnovation.com>       *
> > * -------------------------------------- *
> > *   Apache Jetspeed Enterprise Portal    *
> > *     Apache Pluto Portlet Container     *
> > * OpenEditPro, Website Content Mangement *
> > *     <http://www.openeditpro.com>       *
> > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > jetspeed-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org

*           Scott T. Weaver              *
*         <weaver@apache.org>            *
*     <http://www.einnovation.com>       *