From Scott T Weaver <scotts-jetspeed-l...@binary-designs.net>
Subject Re: Suggestion for Maven dependencies
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 12:36:06 GMT
+1 from me for sure.  Managing those deps is areal PITA.

On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 17:26, David Sean Taylor wrote:
> On Jun 8, 2004, at 1:32 PM, Tim Reilly wrote:
>
> > Hi David & Serge,
> >
> > [David Sean Taylor wrote:]
> >> Another problem Im seeing is that we are not referencing the same
> >> versions of dependencies in components
> >> For example, different components have different dependencies on jars
> >> like commons-lang
> >> I think we need to ensure that we use the same jars in all components
> >
> > Externalizing POM dependencies as entities may help with this.
> > The specifics of the jar + version could be maintained in a central
> > location
> > (dependency entities file).
> >
> > The pom for each component would have a declaration & dependency
> > section
> > like this:
> > <?xml version="1.0"?>
> > <!DOCTYPE project [
> >     <!ENTITY % dependencies SYSTEM
> > "file:../[somepath]/dependencies.ent">
> > %dependencies;
> > ]>
> > <dependencies>
> >     &dep-commons-digester;
> >     &dep-commons-lang;
> > </dependencies>
> >
> > Wiki post on project consistency with Entities:
> > http://wiki.codehaus.org/maven/
> > EnsureProjectConsistencyWithEntities#head-f08
> > 4de6c54f76773e10827ea8619e139fa4af082
> > The wiki has more detailed information, such as when war bundle is
> > true,
> > etc.
> >
> Thanks that was very useful and looks very easy to implement.
> We have to be careful with externalization because, as you pointed out,
> some projects may need to have war-bundle true, while other's not.
> Should we vote on externalizing POM dependencies as entities?
> My vote is +1 to move all dependencies into a central location like in
> the examples found on the Wiki link above.

*           Scott T. Weaver              *
*         <weaver@apache.org>            *
*     <http://www.einnovation.com>       *
*   Apache Jetspeed Enterprise Portal    *
*     Apache Pluto Portlet Container     *
* OpenEditPro, Website Content Mangement *
*     <http://www.openeditpro.com>       *