From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: [J2] Bug: render called twice after an actionRequest
Date Fri, 02 Apr 2004 16:49:53 GMT

On Thursday, April 1, 2004, at 11:20  PM, <ate@douma.nu> wrote:

> David Sean Taylor wrote:
>> On Thursday, April 1, 2004, at 12:34  PM, <ate@douma.nu> wrote:
>>
>>> I just noticed that a portlet render method is called twice as result
>>> of an
>>> ActionRequest.
>>
>> That shouldn't happen.
>> Im in the middle of refactoring and componentizing the navigation and
>> URL code, so its very likely things will break.
>> Im putting in unit tests around all the components
>> Very much appreciate your help here, but please bear with me for a few
>> days while I transition the code to a more manageable state
>> and decouple the navigational state from Pluto's implementation.
>>

> I know. I haven't much time left though for my Struts portlet
> framework so I
> will delve into it
> myself also. I will report back anything important I encounter if you
> don't
> mind :-)

Sure. I hope to find some time today.
Will be back 'in the office' Monday, will give it my full attention
then.

>> Have you tried debugging with Eclipse 3.0? It handles multithreading
>> nicely.
>
> Well, yeah, I'm using Eclipse 3 now but I'm still getting used to it
> as I
> come from IntelliJ
> (painfully missing a few fine features now and then).
>
>> Or try changing the aggregator component's algorithm to single
>> threaded to make debugging easier
>
> That's a good hint, didn't think of that. Is it configurable or do I
> have to
> modify the code for it?
> I'll check it out.

see portal/src/webapp/WEB-INF/conf/assembly/jetspeed.groovy:

strategy = 0

(We need a constant there)

>>> This is partically troublesome as I'm currently trying to implement
>>> Struts
>>> as a Jetspeed portlet in which I perform Struts action  processing
>>> from processAction and Struts view rendering from doView.
>>>
>> This sounds very interesting.
>> Will this be a general solution that you plan on contributing to J2?
>> I think a Jetspeed/Struts portlet application framework is a valuable
>> contribution.
>
> Sure, I'll contribute it to Jetspeed (I already promised so before).
>
> How much of a general solution it will be I don't know yet. There will
> be
> some restrictions for Struts usage mainly because of portlet
> restrictions in
> general.
> Furthermore, I'm not trying to port existing standalone Struts
> applications
> but to
> provide a framework for new Struts porlet development based on the
> current
> head
> version of Struts (well, I'm currently using the non-released Struts
> 1.2
> version).
> As test case though I'm using the Struts MessageReader example.

Perfect.

> I'm not sure yet though if I should submit it to Jetspeed as a whole
> or partly also to Struts (if they are interested).
> This will be part Jetspeed adaption and part Struts
> modifications/extensions
> to allow Struts work within a Portlet (mainly a specialized
> RequestProcessor, handling of URL's and delayed view rendering).

Perhaps commit a part of it to Struts, and a part to Jetspeed.
Or perhaps as a sub-project under portals or jetspeed-2, under
application frameworks

>>> Hopefully someone has an idea?
>>>
>> Yes, Im pretty much dedicated to working on cleaning up this part of
>> the code over the next week.
>
> Great. With a bit of luck I will be able to get a basic, first version
> of
> the Struts Portlet framework for J2 up and running by then.

Look forward to it!

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software