From <...@douma.nu>
Subject Re: [J2] Bug: render called twice after an actionRequest
Date Fri, 02 Apr 2004 07:20:40 GMT
David Sean Taylor wrote:
> On Thursday, April 1, 2004, at 12:34  PM, <ate@douma.nu> wrote:
>
>> I just noticed that a portlet render method is called twice as result
>> of an
>> ActionRequest.
>
> That shouldn't happen.
> Im in the middle of refactoring and componentizing the navigation and
> URL code, so its very likely things will break.
> Im putting in unit tests around all the components
> Very much appreciate your help here, but please bear with me for a few
> days while I transition the code to a more manageable state
> and decouple the navigational state from Pluto's implementation.

I know. I haven't much time left though for my Struts portlet framework so I
will delve into it
myself also. I will report back anything important I encounter if you don't
mind :-)

> Have you tried debugging with Eclipse 3.0? It handles multithreading
> nicely.

Well, yeah, I'm using Eclipse 3 now but I'm still getting used to it as I
come from IntelliJ
(painfully missing a few fine features now and then).

> Or try changing the aggregator component's algorithm to single
> threaded to make debugging easier

That's a good hint, didn't think of that. Is it configurable or do I have to
modify the code for it?
I'll check it out.

>> This is partically troublesome as I'm currently trying to implement
>> Struts
>> as a Jetspeed portlet in which I perform Struts action  processing
>> from processAction and Struts view rendering from doView.
>>
> This sounds very interesting.
> Will this be a general solution that you plan on contributing to J2?
> I think a Jetspeed/Struts portlet application framework is a valuable
> contribution.

Sure, I'll contribute it to Jetspeed (I already promised so before).

How much of a general solution it will be I don't know yet. There will be
some restrictions for Struts usage mainly because of portlet restrictions in
general.
Furthermore, I'm not trying to port existing standalone Struts applications
but to
provide a framework for new Struts porlet development based on the current
head
version of Struts (well, I'm currently using the non-released Struts 1.2
version).
As test case though I'm using the Struts MessageReader example.

I'm not sure yet though if I should submit it to Jetspeed as a whole
or partly also to Struts (if they are interested).
This will be part Jetspeed adaption and part Struts modifications/extensions
to allow Struts work within a Portlet (mainly a specialized
RequestProcessor, handling of URL's and delayed view rendering).

>> Hopefully someone has an idea?
>>
> Yes, Im pretty much dedicated to working on cleaning up this part of
> the code over the next week.

Great. With a bit of luck I will be able to get a basic, first version of
the Struts Portlet framework for J2 up and running by then.

Ate