From "Martin Cooper" <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Service and Component Frameworks
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 18:43:50 GMT

"Jun Yang" <junyang@cisco.com> wrote in message
news:3FC6A088.5090200@cisco.com...
> In the Jetspeed Cornerstone Concepts paper, we have a number of
> Comparison to Other Work boxes for the purpose of comparing it with
> other (unamed) frameworks and pointing out the unique features of
> Cornerstone.  We attempted at a comprehensive comparison with Hivemind,
> Spring and Pico Container and found it too difficult because it requires
> much more than superficial knowledge of those frameworks.  It will be a
> great thing if experts of those frameworks can contribute their views.

I don't mean to be provocative here, but if Cornerstone is sufficiently
general to warrant comparison with such frameworks as HiveMind, Spring and
PicoContainer (which does appear to be the case, from the concepts paper and
presentation), then why would you want to bury / hide it inside of Jetspeed?

Now that Cornerstone is part of the Jetspeed CVS repo, what is the thinking
on its development going forward? I'm curious about whether it will be
integrated into Jetspeed to the point where it would not be useful as a
standalone component, or if the goal is to keep it (semi-)independent. While
I understand that mass customisation is clearly a factor in portal-land,
that's not the only space to which it applies, and I can see a use for such
a framework in non-portal applications as well.

In general, I guess I'd just like to better understand the relationship
between Jetspeed and Cornerstone. (I'm not currently a Jetspeed user, but
lurk on this list because of my interest in Pluto and its relationship with
Jetspeed 2 - and now, possibly, Cornerstone. ;)

--
Martin Cooper