From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: RE : portals.apache.org
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2003 14:24:10 GMT

El martes, 16 dici, 2003, a las 10:18 Europe/Madrid, Luta, Raphael
(VUN) escribió:

> De : David Sean Taylor [mailto:david@bluesunrise.com]
>>
>> I would like to propose creating a new top level project (TLP) at
>> Apache: portals.apache.org
>> Before doing so, I've started this email thread to introduce the
>> concept.
>> Could you all please provide some feedback and opinions so we can see
>> if everyone stands behind this new TLP.

A global +1, first of all.

> I'm +1 on the idea in general by I have some questions on specific
> goals of
> such a project. See below.
>

>> Goals of portals.apache.org:
>>
>> 1. To promote the use of portlet applications. We view portlets as an
>> important technology in the growing portal and web application
>> environments.  We intend to build freely available portlet
>> applications, portal servers, and portlet containers in order to
>> promote the use of this technology.
>
> I think that for this goal to have a global meaning you need to define
> what you call portlet and portlet applications.
> Integrating a definition similar to the the one used by JSR168 like
> "portlets are pluggable user-interface components used by portals to
> provide
> a presentation and interaction layer to Information Systems" would help
> better define the intent to non-portal aware people
>
>> 2. To encourage developers from all Apache portal projects to work
>> together and share common code
>
> Big question here, what about PHP ? It's part of Apache and is also a
> very
> popular choice for building portals. WSRP could definitely be used as a
> bridge
> between the Java and PHP world which would be a very good thing IMO.
> Also consider Perl, etc...

You stole my idea!!! :-P

Now seriously, during the last ApacheCON I explored the possibility and
spoke to mod_perl and mod_php and other perl and php oriented people
about having a project to implement "remote portlets" which speak WSRP
and are written in perl, php and/or python. Some people understood the
idea and was willing to explore the possibilities.

>> 3. To develop Portlet Applications and Portlet Application frameworks
>> at portals.apache.org and grow the portal community here. Portlet
>> Applications will be managed as sub-projects.
>>      Portal Applications will enable a higher level of application
>> development while cleanly separating the development of
>> portals such as
>> Jetspeed from applications code.
>> 4. To provide a community for portal-related Java and XML
>> standards and
>> reference implementations under the ASF license at portals.apache.org
>>

> I think that limiting the scope of portals.apache.org to Java and XML
> is too
> restrictive. Although I admit that the communities mostly fall along
> technology
> lines right now, Portals address application integration issues within
> company
> and should do their best to easily integrate many technologies. I
> think that
>
> a common ground for all portal-related issues for any technology
> currently
> represented in the ASF would be a very good move.

I agree with Raphael that the charter should not be java-specific.

Regards,
      Santiago
(intermittently, mostly unconnected during most of this week, on a
business trip)