From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: data sources
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2003 00:41:26 GMT

On Saturday, December 6, 2003, at 01:15  PM, Roger Ruttimann wrote:

> I agree that we should put more thoughts into the database topic.
> Hypersonic is easy to deploy (no installation required) and a good for
> J2
> demos or validations.
>
> For more complex installations an external db is a must.
>
> Having a clear separation between Web application and database makes
> it easier
> to adapt J2 for different db products.
>
> For the above reasons we should definitely consider a external
> datasource as
> the default db. MySQL would be a good choice.

I'd like to put integrity constraints on the DDL.
Only MySQL 4 supports features like cascading deletes, other versions
of MySQL do not AFAIK.
I really prefer putting constraints in the database, but with an open
source project we have to consider users of all different kinds of
databases.
So much for standards.
One approach is to build integrity constraints into the O/R layer as
OJB supports
Its a compromise of a choice.
Since it takes an OJB expert to understand the constraints in the
mapping file which are much less standardized than SQL constraints.