From Ryan Christianson <r...@echospace.com>
Subject scalability issue multiple portlet object instances
Date Mon, 12 May 2003 23:22:56 GMT
I am curious about the scalablity of the porlet cache. Based on what I
have read in the tutorial
(http://www.bluesunrise.com/jetspeed-docs/JetspeedTutorial.htm) and bits
of source code, it seems that currently the choices are:

1. Have 1 portlet object in the cache for each psml entry, there by
allowing each user able to have more then 1 portlet instance. (
getHandle() returns page+psml_id)

2. Have 1 portlet object in the cache for each portlet type, but only
being able to have 1 portlet instance per user. (getHandle returns
portlet name)

3.  Recreate portlet object each time it is needed. (don't allow the
portlet object to be cached)

4. Cache portlet based on parameters set on the portlet.

5. Cache portlet based on the "URL" parameters

For my situation 2 is not an option. 1,3 and 4 are not scaleable. 5 is
only really useful for rss/webservice portlets.

Is there any other available solutions?

Thanks.

Ryan Christianson