From "Weaver, Scott" <Swea...@rippe.com>
Subject [PROPOSALS] Let me know what you think.
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2003 15:40:36 GMT

Depending on the demand for each of these individual proposals, I will submit a bug id with
draft information attached.

I don't expect any or all of these to make it into the next release, but I feel they need
to be addressed/defined.

1.  Enhanced skinning capability using more of innate capabilities of style sheets and less
of the registry and possibly combined with custom controls into some type of "theme" mechanism
with would link controls/style sheets/images into a single, coherent entity.  We have already
added some preliminary image-skinning capabilities, see bug: 18208.  The concrete example
is skinning of action icons, but it can be used to skin other things.  For example I am skinning
by tabs with a custom controller that uses image skinning to build the tabs.

The additional CSS skinning needs to be formalized, so anyone with ideas or wish list is welcome
to participate.

2.  Inter-portlet communication.  This came up on user, and I think there needs to be a well-defined
mechanism for this as opposed the usual kludgy, hacks we generally suggest ;).  It needs to
be transparent and easy to use.  Todd Kuebler had some good suggestions, so I'd like to look
deeper into that and try to come up with something.

3.  Portlet/Portal event model.  This is pretty straight forward and might be of some help
with inter-portlet communication.

An ideas/suggestions/criticisms are more than welcome.

Regards,
* Scott T Weaver                    *
* Jakarta Jetspeed Portal Project   *
* weaver@apache.org                 *