From "David Sean Taylor" <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Jakarta Newsletter
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2002 21:54:01 GMT
We need to hurry if we want to get our newsletter included into the Jakarta
NewsLetter.
Sorry, I've had a network problems, and Ive been sort of out of action since
Friday.

Could you all please double check the newsletter included below. Im going to
send it off in an hour or so

Thanks, and sorry about letting this slip,

David

-----------------

Jetspeed 1.4b2 will be released on December 9.

* New Features *

This release is full of new features thanks in great part to a very welcome
new committer, Mark Orciuch. Here is a list of new features implemented by
Mark:

    - Parameter Presentation Styles
    - Portlet Preview
    - Portlet Usage Logging
    - Password Expiration and Validation
    - Online Profile Import/Export
    - Print Friendly Mode
    - Filtering in User Browser and Psml Browser

* Documentation *

Jetspeed 1.4b2 introduces a new set of documentation to more fully cover the
changes made to version 1.4. We have added the following documents:

    - New 100 page Jestpeed Tutorial
    - JPortal Application Examples, accompanies the tutorial
    - Jetspeed Axis Integration Guide
    - New Registry Documentation
    - New Layout Documentation
    - New Client Media Documentation

* Project Dependencies *

We updated as many Jars as we could to the latest versions without breaking
the dependencies.
Most importantly, we are now again in sync with the latest releases of:

    Torque
    Turbine
    Commons
    Hypersonic DB

* Improved JSP Support *

Jetspeed JSP Tag library updated to support internationalization and
Jetspeed Links. JSP templating engine updated to operate like Velocities,
supporting the same media/language/country fallback algorithm.

* Client and Media Type Registries *

Two new registries have been added to better support new Media Types and
Client agents.

* Jetspeed Security *

Further enhancements to security:
    - added "owner rule" to only allow access to the owner of a portal
resource
    - cleaned up security in default site
    - Add Security to References

** Misc **

    - Allow Customization of Portlet Control per Portlet
    -  New File Cache utility
    - CheckStyle added to build