From "Jeremy Ford" <caius1...@hotmail.com>
Subject psml browser/customizer issue
Date Fri, 25 Oct 2002 02:10:51 GMT
I have been using Jetspeed for a few months now, starting with 1.3a2.  I
have been very impressed, especially with 1.4b1.  During my use of Jetspeed,
I have come across a couple of bugs while using the PSML browser under the
admin tab.  I'm apologize ahead of time if these have already been found.
Below you will find the steps to reproduce them as well as what I believe to
be the cause of the issues.

1) Log in as admin
2) Choose the admin tab
3) Choose the psml browser
4) Click on the Add link
5) Add a psml with the following values:
    Name: A
    MediaType: html

    Do not change anything else
6) Click on the Add link
7) Add a psml with the following values:
    Name: A
    MediaType: html
    Language: fr

    Do not change anything else
8) Click on Add PSML
9) Click on the /user/anon/html/fr/A.psml link
10) Edit the psml, removing all but the Dynamic tab (just to make it look
different from the other A.psml)
11) Click the Home link to return the PSML Browser
12) Click on the /user/anon/html/A.psml link
13) Notice how it's been modified as well.

Also notice, while using the customizer on the "french" psml, the language
value in the url is lost if you change the skin or anything else.

I believe the reason that this is occuring is because when you choose to
modify the /user/anon/html/fr/A.psml, you are actually modifying the
/user/anon/html/A.psml.  The problem would seem to found in the
JetspeedProfilerService.  This service seems to ignore the fact that
language and country can be specified on the URL to specify the PSML.  The
method getLanguageSettings always refers to the Locale stored in the user's
temporary storage.  Thus, one can never truly choose to view a PSML (based
on language and country) that is not within the Locale of the user.

I have experimented with making the service regonize when language and
country are specified in the runData parameters, and have had promising
results.  But, in order to customize a "french" psml, the jslinks would need
to be able to replicate the language and country values.  Currently, the
language and country data is lost as you use the customizer.  The jslink
does not put the language or country on the URL.  This could be done in the
makeDynamicURI method of the JetspeedProfilerService, but I'm not sure how
the rest of Jetspeed would be affected by this.

The other problem would seem to be related to this:

1) Log in as admin
2) Choose the admin tab
3) Choose the psml browser
4) Click on the Add link
5) Add a psml with the following values:
    Name: A
    MediaType: html
    Language: fr

    Do not change anything else

6) Click on Add PSML
7) Click on the new A.psml link in the browser, you will see a Null Pointer
exception

I believe that correcting the behavior of the customizer/profile service in
regards to language and country would solve this as well.

I hope that this information will be helpful.

Jeremy Ford