From Jason Novotny <jdnovo...@lbl.gov>
Subject Re: why do portlets inherit from servlets?
Date Thu, 31 Oct 2002 05:01:32 GMT

Hi David,

	Thanks for the information. In trying to implement something similar
myself, I'm confused as to how to manage the portlet lifecycle if
portlets are servlets. For instance, the only method a "manger"
servlet, or portlet container, can access of a portlet is the service
method thru the RequestDispatcher.include call. How would the
init(PortletConfig) or initConcrete(PortletSettings), login and other
methods get called?
In the other case, where portlets are their own objects and not
necessarily servlets, then what about the PortletConfig object, which
seems to get its params from the web.xml? Will that be a part of the
standard?

	Thanks for your time, Jason