From "David Sean Taylor" <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject RE: why do portlets inherit from servlets?
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 19:49:15 GMT

The advantage is that you can leverage the Servlet API with your portlets,
instead of mimicking the functionality.
This makes for a nice aggregation engine based on servlet dispatcher, all
built in and less work for the portlet container developers.

I wouldn't consider IBM's API as the standard, especially in this area of
portlets inheriting from servlets.