From Jason Novotny <jdnovo...@lbl.gov>
Subject why do portlets inherit from servlets?
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:33:01 GMT
Hi,

I've been looking at IBM's Portlet API in which portlets inherit from
servlets-- I would like to get some technical reasons for why this is a
good or bad idea. For one thing it seems performance might be slower
since portlets would be invoked presumably using
RequestDispatcher.include() methods rather than using a portlet object
instance. Another thing is that portlets would be managed by the
servlet container such as classloading, whereas if I have portlets as
independent objects I could use my own classloading mechanisms to
reload them without restarting the servlet container.
	Any comments and information is greatly appreciated.

	Thanks, Jason