From "Luta, Raphael (VUN)" <Raphael.L...@groupvu.Com>
Subject RE: Deprecating methods in Portlet
Date Tue, 29 Oct 2002 21:48:26 GMT
De : David Sean Taylor [mailto:david@bluesunrise.com]

> The init() removal worries me that it will break people's
> existing portlets.

Agreed. This is probably the most impacting change.
What about keeping this one in Portlet and simply marking it deprecated ?

> Also getAttribute is used to read from the registry setting.
> Which API should we use to get an attribute from the registry
> (not from the instance)?

Read-only access to actual Registry configuration parameters can probably
be moved to PortletConfig, which itself is probably a prime target for a lot
method deprecation but I'm going to open only one can of worms at a time :)

> > * getAllowEdit()
> > * getAllowMaximize()
> > * isShowTitleBar()
> > * get/setTitle
> > * get/setDescription
> > * get/setImage
>
> +1
>
> Be sure to patch any velocity templates making calls to these
> methods, as
> they won't be caught by the compiler

For sure.

--
Raphaƫl Luta - raphael.luta@groupvu.com
Principal Consultant - Technology and New Initiatives