From Jason Novotny <jdnovo...@lbl.gov>
Subject Re: why do portlets inherit from servlets?
Date Fri, 01 Nov 2002 04:08:33 GMT

    That sounds fine in theory, but seems to make the implementation
kind of schizophrenic. So if portlets are servlets and they have an
entry in a web.xml file and a servlet mapping, then it would seem they
are really managed by the servlet container e.g. Tomcat. However
portlets don't implement servlets they extend them, so the only calls
that the servlet container can make are the init(ServletConfig),
service(HttpServletRequest, httpServletResponse) and destroy() methods.
How do the init(PortletConfig) initConcrete(PortletSettings) and doView,
doEdit, doHelp, etc, methods get called that are defined in the
WebSphere portlet API?  If portlets are in fact their own objects than
they can be managed by a chief servlet otherwise it seems that the
portlet container is really a servlet container. Possibly IBM hacked
Tomcat as well to make their model fly. I'm beginning to think there is
really no good reason for portlets to subclass servlets.

    Jason

Weaver, Scott wrote:

>Here is a portion of JSR 168.
>
>"The Portlet specification will be based on the Servlet specification. It is envisioned
that the developer API will be similar to the Servlet API.

>The Portlet specification will restrict the use of functions provided by the Servlet API
to a subset that makes sense for components providing fragments of a markup page."

>It's pretty much like David stated below.  Use the servlet API pieces for where it makes
sense, drop the stuff that doesn't.