From "Weaver, Scott" <Swea...@rippe.com>
Subject Question on Muliple portlet instance behavior
Date Thu, 27 Jun 2002 14:56:58 GMT
I have noticed some "odd" behavior when it comes to multiple instance of the
same portlet.

Example:

Let's say I have a portlet, "MyPortlet", which extends VelocityPortlet.  It
has a single attribute called "test."  Now, I add this portlet to 2 separate
panes, pane_1 and pane_2.  My PSML file reflects that MyPortlet is in fact
in both pane_1 and pane_2, each instance of MyPortlet has a unique ID value.
So far so good.

Now, this is the part that does not seem right, to me at least.  If I have
an action that sets the value of the attribute "test", regardless of which
instance of MyPortlet calls the action the value is both stored and
retrieved from the first (as it appears in the PSML file) instance of
MyPortlet in pane_1.  The second instance of MyPortlet in pane_2 never gets
or sets its own attribute "test", and it always refers to the attribute
"test" in the first instance of MyPortlet.

Before I dig any deeper I need to ask, "Is this correct behavior for
multiple instances of the same portlet?"

I'm using the most current CVS HEAD for 1.3a3.

Thanks,
Scott