From "Weaver, Scott" <Swea...@rippe.com>
Subject RE: deploy a portlet without restarting Tomcat
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2002 12:41:13 GMT

If you are concerned with class-based portlets, you can define your webapp's
context as reloadable="true" in the server.xml file.  By default, there is
no context entry for Jetspeed in server.xml, so you will have to define it
yourself.  However, I am not 100% sure this will work for new classes (i.e.
those that were not there when the webapp's classloader first initialized).

What will work is using Tomcat's manager functionality to forcibly re-load
the webapp.  There is a catch to this approach.  If you are using the
default HSQL as your database, you will get a "Database already in use"
error after the webapp reloads.  I got around this by moving to MySQL.
There may be other ways to prevent HSQL from behaving this way, however I
did not want to spend the time to figure it out.

As for the required .xreg entries, AFAIK those refresh every so often.

hth,
Scott