From "Glenn R. Golden" <ggol...@umich.edu>
Subject Re: NewRSSPortlet expiration
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2002 01:48:57 GMT
Well, I think I get it now -

It's the DiskCacheDaemon which periodically checks all entries in the
JetspeedDiskCache for possible updates.  When it finds one, the portlet
notices a new file and produces new output.

Pretty neat.

The DiskCacheDaemon by default jr.p configuration runs once an hour.
News focused sites might want to get this running more frequently.

- Glenn

On Tuesday, June 4, 2002, at 08:27  PM, Glenn R. Golden wrote:

> Does anybody know (and be willing to explain) how an RSS portlet is
> supposed to decide that it's shown the same page long enough and show a
> new one?  It seems to involve how long an entry is stuck in the
> JetspeedDiskCache (looks like that should be 15 minutes only) and how
> often the source actually changes - but the portlet itself seems to
> cache the results and this needs to be updated... Since it's a
> FileWatcherPortlet it seems to want to change when the disk changes,
> but won't the disk remain the same until somebody asks for a new
> version?
>
> If anybody has a brief explaination that they would share I'd
> appreciate it.
>
> In my tests, a very old version of the RSS content that starts up in
> the cache directory and should have expired at best after 15 minutes is
> never expiring for the latest version of the feed...  I'm trying to
> figure out why.
>
> Thanks!

- Glenn