From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: Problems setting content type to application/vnd.ms-excel
Date Sun, 23 Jun 2002 09:00:41 GMT
Jeff Marshall wrote:

> I am trying to sent the content type in a portlet doExcelselect method
> using :
> <<<
>        MimeType mt = new MimeType("application/vnd.ms-excel");
> //        rundata.setContentType( mt.getContentType() );
> //        rundata.setCharSet( mt.getCharSet() );
>        rundata.setContentType("application/vnd.ms-excel");
> //
> rundata.getResponse().setContentType("application/vnd.ms-excel");
>              VelocityPortlet portlet =
> (VelocityPortlet)context.get("portlet");
>        Log.debug("portlet supports type "+portlet.supportsType(mt));
>
> //                implementation junk
>
>        // just before return
>        Log.debug("doExcelselect content type is
> "+rundata.getContentType());
>
> The portlet.supportsType() returns true, and the last debug
> rundata.getContentType() returns application/vnd.ms-excel.
>
> Does this logic work?

The problem is that typically a portlet is shown together with a set of
other portlets, and (in jetspeed's current implementation) also inside a
Turbine page, with navigations. All of this code should work with the
same markup type.

To achieve this, you will need to specify your page to use a "blank"
layout, with no navigations, and a portlet without title or other
decoration.

In current Jetspeed code, ContentType is set in the JetspeedVelocityPage
and JetspeedLayout code, according to the CapabilityMap.

> The idea is to build an html table, set the content type to
> application/vnd.ms-excel, and let the browser show the spreadsheet
> (I.E) or ask for an application (Netscape).

The "text/tab-separated-values" IANA Media type could be better suited
for this purpose, but I wonder is Excel would support it appropriately
without reconfiguration.