From Endre StĂžlsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>
Subject Re: Cleaning up Jetspeed
Date Thu, 02 May 2002 16:32:13 GMT
On Thu, 2 May 2002, David Sean Taylor wrote:

| > But, WHY do you folks do this? Why not just delete (cvs rm)
| > the files, as "one are supposed to do"? Then they move into
| > Attic, and you won't see them again, but they can still be
| > checked out..
|
| Because we have lots and lots of empty directories that cannot be
| removed by cvs rm.
| (One can always checkout/prune to not see this directories I know.)

That's correct. A "proper" update command looks like this:
  cvs update -d -P

Here's my bash alias:
alias up='cvs update -d -P 2>&1 | grep -v "Updating"'

Lovely, isn't it? ;)

God knows why it doesn't make dirs by default and why you have to "prune"
the stupid directory three (God being the folks that came up with cvs?!),
but that's the way it is.

| > Deleting stuff and messing around in the cvs dir structure
| > breaks ALL tags, branches and dated checkouts and stuff like
| > this. It is often better (as far as I know) to make a new CVS
| > tree, delete all the CVS dirs from your local copy, and
| > import the new stash into the new CVS, thus having the
| > possibility to check out older versions.
|
| >From what I understand, this process of making a new cvs loses all
| revision history which I find unacceptable.
| I believe Raphael is proposing to keep a second, backup cvs with all the
| old versions and branches available, but the cvs head will still have
| all the latest code and revision history minus the dead directory trees.

aha..

--
Mvh,
Endre