From Endre StĂžlsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>
Subject Re: Cleaning up Jetspeed
Date Thu, 02 May 2002 15:47:30 GMT
On Thu, 2 May 2002, Paul Spencer wrote:

| David,
| How does a cvs update behave when the directory is deleted from the CVS,
| but not you local copy?
|
| Paul Spencer

You will get question marks, or problems with the CVS directory at your
copy referring to the directory, which no longer is present. I usually
just edit the Entries file inside the containing dir's CVS dir if I get
problems, but there are probably "correct" ways of doing this.

But, WHY do you folks do this? Why not just delete (cvs rm) the files, as
"one are supposed to do"? Then they move into Attic, and you won't see
them again, but they can still be checked out..

Deleting stuff and messing around in the cvs dir structure breaks ALL
tags, branches and dated checkouts and stuff like this. It is often better
(as far as I know) to make a new CVS tree, delete all the CVS dirs from
your local copy, and import the new stash into the new CVS, thus having
the possibility to check out older versions.

But is that really necessary?

--
Mvh,
Endre