From raphael.l...@networks.groupvu.com
Subject Re: Cleaning up Jetspeed
Date Fri, 04 May 2001 06:57:34 GMT
Endre Stølsvik wrote:

>On Thu, 2 May 2002, Paul Spencer wrote:
>
>| David,
>| How does a cvs update behave when the directory is deleted from the CVS,
>| but not you local copy?
>|
>| Paul Spencer
>
>You will get question marks, or problems with the CVS directory at your
>copy referring to the directory, which no longer is present. I usually
>just edit the Entries file inside the containing dir's CVS dir if I get
>problems, but there are probably "correct" ways of doing this.
>
>But, WHY do you folks do this? Why not just delete (cvs rm) the files, as
>"one are supposed to do"? Then they move into Attic, and you won't see
>them again, but they can still be checked out..

You still get all the empty directories in the initial checkout of the
repository.

>Deleting stuff and messing around in the cvs dir structure breaks ALL
>tags, branches and dated checkouts and stuff like this. It is often better
>(as far as I know) to make a new CVS tree, delete all the CVS dirs from
>your local copy, and import the new stash into the new CVS, thus having
>the possibility to check out older versions.
>
>But is that really necessary?

I would personally prefer to actually re-import the whole CVS tree (that
would effectively clear
all the versions and tags) and keep the old repository in an archive to
let people search for older
revisions.
If this does not seem to create consensus, I'll try to see what can be
done to prune manually
the current repository of the oldest directories (some of them have not
been used for more than
2 years...).
As far as I understand the different needs, we just need to be sure that
it's still possible to retrieve
all the versions up to 1.2b1.

--
Raphaël Luta - raphael.luta@networks.groupvu.com