From raphael.l...@networks.groupvu.com
Subject Re: Cleaning up Jetspeed
Date Wed, 02 May 2001 18:28:24 GMT
David Sean Taylor wrote:

> [...]
Easiest way is to reimport the CVS module.

>>The main target of the clean-up would be all the non-functional code
>>(like CocoonPortlet) and
>>examples or obsolete/unused code (most of the legacy ECS controls or
>>controllers stuff).
>>
>>There are 3 options to deal with these:
>>- keep them in CVS, mark them as deprecated and remove them in an
>>ulterior release
>>

>-1
>

>>- move all these components in a separate archive/attic directory and
>>let them die in this
>>  repository
>>

>-1
>

>>- remove them completely from the CVS tree.
>>

>+1
>

>>I'd personnally vote to completely remove all non-functional
>>code like
>>the CocoonPortlet
>>from the CVS as well as all the legacy components that have a direct
>>"modern" functional replacement.
>>I would also recommend moving all the unused components that have not
>>been directly
>>superceded by new ones into a contrib directory (current named
>>jakarta-jetspeed/modules)
>>
>>If committers can give me their opinions quickly, I can deal
>>with the clean-up this week.
>>
>>Additionally, there are a couple of features for which I'm
>>not sure of their real status/use:
>>
>>- JCM: is it worth keeping it as is or should write a simple
>>  Torque-based message board replacement ?
>>

>What is it?

JetspeedConfigMarkup which is the base for the "Jetspeed" portlet
displayed in the default
annonymous page. Kevin hoped to make it one day into a distributed
message board system
but it's really not quite there.
Unless somebody has a real use for it and is willing to maintain this
component, I'd propose to
move this portlet and all the associated classes, configs and files into
a modules/ directory so that
whoever can pick it up and try to update it.

>>- WAP: is somebody actively looking at WML support to make sure it
>>  doesn't break. If no, should drop WML support ?
>>

>Keep it! It does work and it is used.

So you're maintaining this part :) Do you plan to upgrade the markup to
WAP 1.2 ?

>>- JSP/VM: Is there any added value to support the two templating
>>  engines is a symmetric fashion or should simply write all the
>>  components in one of these, knowing that we can still include
>>  elements from either type if required.
>>  If we chose to maintain symmetrically both environments, who's going
>>  to make sure they are at parity level featurewise ?
>>

>I'd like to keep them both, but don't have time to 'assure parity
>levels'

Personnally, I'm less and less convinced we need both as long as we can
guarantee JSP
integration at the portlet level.

--
Raphaƫl Luta - raphael.luta@networks.groupvu.com