From raphael.l...@networks.groupvu.com
Subject Re: Connection between JSR 168, JetSpeed and IBM?
Date Wed, 02 May 2001 17:31:37 GMT
Endre Stolsvik wrote:

>| There Portlet API JSR 168 Expert Group was founded in February this
>| year. It will be defining:
>|
>| 1. Portlet API Standard
>| 2. Portlet API Reference Implementation
>| 3. Portlet API TCK
>|
>| IBM and Sun are co-spec leads.
>| IBM's original portlet API proposal has had some influence on the
>| Portlet API standard.
>| However the new standard is being designed by the Expert Group, not by
>| IBM alone.
>
>All this is said in the JSR 168 spec. I browsed the jetspeed archives, and I
>got some more information there, like that the JSR 162 and JSR 167, made by
>IBM and SUN respectively, both got dropped 20. January. Sun and IBM began a
>joint effort, the JSR 168, the 12. February. And Apache is in the Expert
>Group of this spec.

I'm pretty sure that since David is involved in the JSR 168 he cannot
elaborate on what is being
said within this group because of a NDA...

>That "propsed Portlet API" laying in the jetspeed CVS, where did that come
>from? It's seems to be written by three german IBM'ers.. Are they active
>JetSpeed developers? I'm asking since they are using the
>org.apache.jetspeed.portlet packages in the Portlet Development Guide for
>WebSphere Portal 4.1 (The link I pasted). That piece of software is
>apparently due to be released 31. May.. And in that guide, they state the
>following:
>  "The Portlet API offered in WebSphere Portal Version 4.1 is the first step
>toward the Portlet API standardization. For more information about the
>portlet specification..."
>
>I was just wondering if anyone had some more "history" behind this stuff..

Easiest way to get an "historical perspective" on this subject is to
browse the Jetspeed mailing-list
archives from October 2000 to March 2001, you should get most of the
conversations that
occurred about this API. (look mainly for the Portlet API thread...)

--
Raphaƫl Luta - raphael.luta@networks.groupvu.com
Professional Services Manager