From raphael.l...@networks.groupvu.com
Subject Cleaning up Jetspeed
Date Wed, 02 May 2001 16:08:22 GMT
In an effort to clean-up the state of the CVS repository before the next
release, I'd propose
to start a clean-up effort of the tree.
The main target of the clean-up would be all the non-functional code
(like CocoonPortlet) and
examples or obsolete/unused code (most of the legacy ECS controls or
controllers stuff).

There are 3 options to deal with these:
- keep them in CVS, mark them as deprecated and remove them in an
ulterior release
- move all these components in a separate archive/attic directory and
let them die in this
  repository
- remove them completely from the CVS tree.

I'd personnally vote to completely remove all non-functional code like
the CocoonPortlet
from the CVS as well as all the legacy components that have a direct
"modern" functional replacement.
I would also recommend moving all the unused components that have not
been directly
superceded by new ones into a contrib directory (current named
jakarta-jetspeed/modules)

If committers can give me their opinions quickly, I can deal with
the clean-up this week.

Additionally, there are a couple of features for which I'm not sure
of their real status/use:

- JCM: is it worth keeping it as is or should write a simple
  Torque-based message board replacement ?
- WAP: is somebody actively looking at WML support to make sure it
  doesn't break. If no, should drop WML support ?
- JSP/VM: Is there any added value to support the two templating
  engines is a symmetric fashion or should simply write all the
  components in one of these, knowing that we can still include
  elements from either type if required.
  If we chose to maintain symmetrically both environments, who's going
  to make sure they are at parity level featurewise ?

Any opinions, comments ?

--
Raphaƫl Luta - raphael.luta@networks.groupvu.com
Professional Services Manager