From "David Sean Taylor" <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject RE: Cleaning up Jetspeed
Date Thu, 02 May 2002 16:04:55 GMT
> But, WHY do you folks do this? Why not just delete (cvs rm)
> the files, as "one are supposed to do"? Then they move into
> Attic, and you won't see them again, but they can still be
> checked out..

Because we have lots and lots of empty directories that cannot be
removed by cvs rm.
(One can always checkout/prune to not see this directories I know.)

> Deleting stuff and messing around in the cvs dir structure
> breaks ALL tags, branches and dated checkouts and stuff like
> this. It is often better (as far as I know) to make a new CVS
> tree, delete all the CVS dirs from your local copy, and
> import the new stash into the new CVS, thus having the
> possibility to check out older versions.

>From what I understand, this process of making a new cvs loses all
revision history which I find unacceptable.
I believe Raphael is proposing to keep a second, backup cvs with all the
old versions and branches available, but the cvs head will still have
all the latest code and revision history minus the dead directory trees.