From "Endre Stolsvik" <En...@Stolsvik.com>
Subject Re: Connection between JSR 168, JetSpeed and IBM?
Date Wed, 01 May 2002 17:01:32 GMT
| There Portlet API JSR 168 Expert Group was founded in February this
| year. It will be defining:
|
| 1. Portlet API Standard
| 2. Portlet API Reference Implementation
| 3. Portlet API TCK
|
| IBM and Sun are co-spec leads.
| IBM's original portlet API proposal has had some influence on the
| Portlet API standard.
| However the new standard is being designed by the Expert Group, not by
| IBM alone.

All this is said in the JSR 168 spec. I browsed the jetspeed archives, and I
got some more information there, like that the JSR 162 and JSR 167, made by
IBM and SUN respectively, both got dropped 20. January. Sun and IBM began a
joint effort, the JSR 168, the 12. February. And Apache is in the Expert
Group of this spec.

That "propsed Portlet API" laying in the jetspeed CVS, where did that come
from? It's seems to be written by three german IBM'ers.. Are they active
JetSpeed developers? I'm asking since they are using the
org.apache.jetspeed.portlet packages in the Portlet Development Guide for
WebSphere Portal 4.1 (The link I pasted). That piece of software is
apparently due to be released 31. May.. And in that guide, they state the
following:
  "The Portlet API offered in WebSphere Portal Version 4.1 is the first step
toward the Portlet API standardization. For more information about the
portlet specification..."

I was just wondering if anyone had some more "history" behind this stuff..

Endre.