From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: More about the disk cache
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2002 13:20:01 GMT
Erik Stensmo wrote:

>I am thinking of rewriting the disk cache, as a service and I am thinking
>about doing it this way.
>
>1. Keep the current interfaces to the disk cache.
>2. Move the implementation of the disk cache to the services directory and
>implement it as a service
>3. Keep the current class JetspeedDiskCache and make that class use the new
>cache, but deprecate the getInstance() method.
>4. Use a factory for retreiving the new cache, not a method of an
>implementing class.
>5. Split the local / remote functionality in two separate implementation
>classes -> cleaner code
>6. Not implement any mehtods as public, that are not defined in the
>interface.
>

>Any suggestions to this?

Looks like the right thing to do.

If there are public methods missing, we can always add them later. In
this area it is better to get restrictive than permissive.

There are strong links between the cache and the URLManager service, and
it could be worthwhile that both services are merged together, or at
least have clean dependencies.

The original intent was that the cache was to be migrated migrated
there. So feel free to reorganize also the URLManager if you need to.

Thanks for your effort.