From Glenn Golden <ggol...@umich.edu>
Subject RE: CustomizerVelocityPortlet broken
Date Fri, 29 Mar 2002 00:37:20 GMT
The problem is that there are two design patterns in use with these wrapped
portlets - the wrapping, and marker interfaces (such as, in our case,
PortletCustomizer).

These appear to be in conflict - you can't see the marker interfaces that a
class implements if it's wrapped.  The wrapper surfaces the wrapped class's
API, but testing "instanceof" is not made explicit in the API, so it not
surfaced by the wrapping.

I'll replace our use of PortletCustomizer marker interface with some new
method of the Portlet API, something like 'public boolean isOwnCustomizer()"
-I'm having trouble getting a good name.

I'll search for other instanceof PortletCustomizer" code and fix them all.

Do we use other marker interfaces that we should likewise fix?

I'll have a patch tonight or tomorrow for this.

- Glenn

ggolden@umich.edu               734-615-1419
http://www-personal.si.umich.edu/~ggolden/