From Glenn Golden <ggol...@umich.edu>
Subject RE: Jetspeed Proposal: iframe portlet control
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2002 17:51:08 GMT
For the portlet id, I think it needs to be unique withing the portal (psml
file), and not unique within the entire system.  Adding a unique identifier
for the psml (which must be more than "default", i.e. something to do with
the path such as "user/turbine/html/default") when needed would make the
portlet id globally unique.  Actually, adding the user session as well and
we can distinguish between two different users access to the same portal,
etc.

I don't see why we need the hierarchical numebering, such as 1.2.1.1.2.3.  I
think a simple integer would be better: id=1 for the entire portal (the top
most portlet set), and increasing ids for all the identifiable entities
withing (i.e. the other portlet sets and entries).  This would increment,
missing numbers (due to changes) would never be reused, they would be saved
but re-generated if missing.

- Glenn