From Nikki Jukka <Jukka.Ni...@novogroup.com>
Subject RE: Server side discussion
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2002 12:26:13 GMT
It sounds like politics :( IBM and Jetspeed can't set standards, when
there's competitors who wouldn't like to see that there's standard and only
jetspeed and IBM's WPS are ready for it .. IMO Sybase is too closed and
propietary (look their examples!), oracle way too much tied to old PL/SQL
hacks (webDb, HTML toolkit, ..) and BEA just too dependent on it's WLS
product to accept that IBM could get competitive advantage.. They don't
afford to give IBM and Jetspeed what those would deserve, a standard based
on Portlet API. Itch! New version of Portlet API is too good to be wasted!

- Jukkis

-----Original Message-----
From: Santiago Gala [mailto:sgala@hisitech.com]
Sent: 15. tammikuuta 2002 17:19
To: Jetspeed Developers List
Subject: Re: Server side discussion

David Sean Taylor wrote:

>Interesting little discussion going on at ServerSide.com :
>
>http://www.theserverside.com/home/thread.jsp?thread_id=11106

I'm just reading jsr 167. For those not informed, a different jsr for
Portlet API has been presented, with support from a lot of companies.

I imagine (I stress it is My Opinion, no hidden knowledge) that both
proposals should be merged, or either retired. I think a Proposal for a
standard with companies like BEA, Epicentric, Sybase, ... , merged with
IBM proposal, could set the scenario for a standard.

I will post later, when I know more about the new proposal. This is
beginning to get interesting indeed ;)