From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: Security Changes
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2002 23:21:41 GMT
Paul Spencer wrote:

(I snip most. I agree with most of it)

> Missing group = all user have access based on roles.

As turbine roles are defined in a triple group-role-user, this should
better be rephrased as "all users have access based on roles in global
group". I'm not picky, this is important. This misunderstanding is the
root of most problems we have experienced. A user has *no* role unless
you pick up a group.

> Missing roles = all user have "default access"

This could be the users have the permissions returned by
 data.getACL().hasPermission("xxx"), but, again, this is implemented in
turbine as return hasPermission(permission,
TurbineSecurity.getGlobalGroup());, so it means "access according to
permissions in the global group"
The precise meaning of a role constraint is "data.getACL().hasRole( role
) && data.getACL().hasPermission( "xxx" ) returns true", where xxx is
the action to be performed. It restricts the permission further, since I
could have view permission, but not clerk role, for instance.

> We also need to define a standard set of permissions:
> view       - Allows portlet content to be viewed and
>              added to pane
> customize  - Allows portlet to be customized

This can/should be required at the portletset level

> minimize   - allows portlet to be minimized
>
> maximize   - allows portlet to be maximized
> remove     - allows portlet to be removed from pane
>
> move       - allows portlet to be moved in pane

This one looks very difficult to implement, since in a two column
layout, moving one portlet shuffles the rest (effectively moving them).
Ideas?

> One other area the is related, it the ability to have common
> portlet(s) the are maintained in one place for a group of users.  As
> an example corporate E-mail and corporate News should be on all pages
> and in the left column.  (I am not ask this be addressed now, just be
> aware of this desired functionality while designing the security changes)

This again could be implemented with relative ease at the portletset
level, except that a multi-column layout is *not* a portletset. I mean
something like the customiser not allowing to modify a given part of the
PSML. If a Document is composed of a (role=admin)set which includes
several (unrestricted)portletsets, the user could modify only the inner
ones, but should respect the structure of the outer one. We will work
security in the PSML structure/customiser later on, when we have the
basics sorted out.