From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: Informal Meeting @ Collab
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2002 18:06:31 GMT
Paul Spencer wrote:

> David,
>
> Below are some items for the meeting.
>
> o Caching - Jetspeed need a caching model that will:
>   - Cache objects to disk or memory
>   - Dynamically manage caching system, i.e. Inspect/delete/refresh/move
>     cached object, Set maximum size if memory available for cache
>   - Allow objects to be refresh, i.e. RefreshableCachedObject
>   - Allow objects to manage their caching configuration, i.e.
>     Expiration, TimeToLive, Preferred cache location (memory or disk)
> Turbine's current caching subsystem is memory only.  Their related
> thread titled "Torque, Cache and Commons"  in the Turbine-user list.

This is a very relevant item for scalable servers. I will monitor this
thread also.

The separate diskcache (for URL fetched from remote sources) needs
either a complete rewriting or substitution by a separate mechanism,
such as a proxy in front of the Jetspeed server. I don't know if other
projects need/want similar service.

> o Configuration - Currently property files are read at startup.  This
> makes it difficult to change the configuration of Jetspeed with out
> restarting the servlet engine, i.e. Tomcat.  We need a configuration
> model that is dynamic.  I also see a need for Jetspeed to provide a
> configuration model the portlet applications, although I suspect this
> model is defined in the portlet JSR being submitted.
>
> o Security, i.e. controlling access to objects - See Santiago's comments

Jetspeed needs a much finer grain access control than turbine apps, I
think. Today I was thinking about using the Apache/Other webserver front
end for access control, this could be a valid solution for most turbine
applications. But for Jetspeed, where pages are aggregated from a set of
portlets, the URL is not enough for access control. I could be wrong,
but I'm working on having a workable implementation of Turbine security
service under Jetspeed, and I have yet to see the light. ;)

> o Services - What is their future.  I see foresee their use as the
> back-end of a portlet application.

I don't know if turbine-3 will allow for a services backend isolated
from turbine servlet. In a lot of conceivable setups of a portlet
container, the concepts of the turbine servlet do not fit very well, but
a well managed set of services are always needed. A framework for the
development of services would always be of benefit.

>>> http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine
>>> http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity
>>> http://jakarta.apache.org/alexandria