From Paul Spencer <pau...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Informal Meeting @ Collab
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2002 11:21:15 GMT
David,

Below are some items for the meeting.

o Caching - Jetspeed need a caching model that will:
   - Cache objects to disk or memory
   - Dynamically manage caching system, i.e. Inspect/delete/refresh/move
     cached object, Set maximum size if memory available for cache
   - Allow objects to be refresh, i.e. RefreshableCachedObject
   - Allow objects to manage their caching configuration, i.e.
     Expiration, TimeToLive, Preferred cache location (memory or disk)
Turbine's current caching subsystem is memory only.  Their related
thread titled "Torque, Cache and Commons"  in the Turbine-user list.

o Configuration - Currently property files are read at startup.  This
makes it difficult to change the configuration of Jetspeed with out
restarting the servlet engine, i.e. Tomcat.  We need a configuration
model that is dynamic.  I also see a need for Jetspeed to provide a
configuration model the portlet applications, although I suspect this
model is defined in the portlet JSR being submitted.

o Security, i.e. controlling access to objects - See Santiago's comments

o Services - What is their future.  I see foresee their use as the
back-end of a portlet application.

o User authentication - See Santiago's comments.

Paul Spencer