From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: Updating the Turbine jar file
Date Sun, 06 Jan 2002 12:31:36 GMT
Paul Spencer wrote:

> David,
>
> David Sean Taylor wrote:
>
>> Could you explain what exactly is the problem.
>>

> o Need to get number of cached objects. This will display the number
> of cached objects in the GlobalAdminPortlet.  This patch has already
> been committed. See
> http://www.mail-archive.com/turbine-dev%40jakarta.apache.org/msg04799.html
>

> o Need to set the expiration of a cached object.  I am wait on this
> patch.  See
> http://www.mail-archive.com/turbine-user%40jakarta.apache.org/msg05525.html
>

>> But yes, I don't think its a problem to upgrade the turbine jar, just
>> make
>> sure that you don't break anything. It would be nice if we had some
>> kind of
>> unit or smoke tests in place for this situation....

I think that we broke something (or that I have it broken currently).
Random facts:

- I have problems building the site docs, unless I substitute ant by
1.4.1 *and* velocity by the current one in turbine (1.3-dev). I'm not
sure of the exact cause. The symptom is that most of the text is
substituted by "[ Element ]" strings.  Has anybody else seen this one?

- I don't know exactly when it began to happen, but in my working
copies, Jetspeed says that the character encoding is UTF-8, but then it
spits ISO-8859-1 content (This is noticeable when I use spanish PSML
with accented characters). Here the design intention is to use always
UTF-8, since it is suitable for mixed encoding processing or user
customisation. This used to work. I don't know when it got broken. I
will check how it happens. I think it could be a turbine and/or velocity
issue, but I'm not completely sure yet.

- Under tomcat-4/java 1.4, I'm seeing problems with interference between
our xerces version and the jaxp included inside the jdk and/or catalina.
A ClassCastException when jsp is being initialized. To solve it I need
to remove our xerces and upgrade our xalan to one that does *not*
include jaxp/trax classes. Both xerces and xalan used to include copies
of the jaxp/trax apis. This is no longer true in xerces 1.4.4 and xalan
2.2-D14. I wonder if we should upgrade also.

> Yes, we do need to define some testing.  Their are some
> build_test_xxx.xml
> files in the build directory.  This leads me to believe that automated
> testing
> was setup at one time.  If this was working, would it fulfill the
> testing requirement?

I never understood the test stuff in cvs. If someone understand it,
could please post a "idiot" guide on how to run tests, how to design a
new one, etc.? I would like to have a "Character encoding" test.