From Jason Hunter <jhun...@acm.org>
Subject Re: FW: Portlet API - call to vote
Date Wed, 02 Jan 2002 08:33:36 GMT
Jason van Zyl wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> I forwarded this here because the jetspeed group appears to be embarking on
> the JCP journey so I was wondering if you could give us some pointers by
> answering the questions posed below? If they could go to the jetspeed-dev
> list that would probably be very helpful as I'm somewhat responsible for the
> group and I'm not really qualified to answer the questions posed.

Sure, I'll do my best to answer the questions.  I've CC'd jetspeed-dev.
I see there has been some discussion there already, but perhaps I can
clarify.

Apache is on the JCP Executive Committee and as such gets one vote (out
of sixteen) for all JSR milestone votes (initial review, community
review, public review, final review).  So we have some say in which JSRs
are accepted and which ones proceed to be finalized.  We also are as an
organization a member of the JCP which means we have signed the
membership agreement and Apache members have access to community review
drafts and such.  For more information see http://jcp.org.

> o Will commiters be given access to read and comment on the
>    community draft? Should commiter request "Expert membership"?

Apache Members (http://www.apache.org/foundation/members.html) by being
legally affiliated with Apache are bound to the agreement signed by
Apache, and thus are under its NDA rules and can see and comment on the
community drafts.  Non-members either have to wait until public review
or may join as individual experts (which is free but requires signing an
agreement).  Typically we appoint one official Apache representative to
expert groups, and if more people are interested they join as
independents.

> o Will we send our voting recommendation to the Apache rep,
>    who will then vote?

I place the actual vote on the jcp.org site.  The jcp@apache.org list is
our forum for developing positions and strategies, so please keep us
informed.  All members interested in the JCP politics are welcome, and
hopefully Jason vZ will subscribe if he's not already.

-jh-