From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: JS Groups-Roles-Permissions
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2001 10:53:11 GMT
David Sean Taylor wrote:

>>We need a JDBC implementation and an LDAP implementation
>>

>Yes, agreed.
>
>>What Object Relational layer (if any) are we going to use for
>>the JDBC
>>implementation.  Some choices include castor, village, Torque, the
>>JCorporate, ofbiz, and dozens of others.
>>

>Torque is probably a good choice.
>Check the Turbine mailing list. Someone there was working on a LDAP adapter,
>not sure of the state of that.

I checked. It can be used for authentication, but the "save" methods are
not implemented (both in turbine-2 and 3).  Thus, if we use it, we would
have no functional user.save() for session objects.

>>Or should we do it via the DAO pattern?
>>

>Torque provides a data access layer.
>
>>For the object model,
>>Here is what I think we need to do
>>
>>1)      Hierarchical groups and roles
>>2)      Users are associated to groups and to roles
>>3)      Groups can be associated to users and to roles
>>

>>TO DO:
>>Object Model
>>Database scripts
>>

>Generate them with Torque.
>
>>O/R Decision (DAO vs Castor, Torque, etc)
>>

>My vote is Torque.

This even after your fights? ;)

BTW. THere is something I did not like about how we implemented groups.
Turbine has a "DEFAULT_GROUP" concept. The group is called "global".
When you don't specify a group, this is the one that Turbine will check.
We have used a Jetspeed group as default. No global page under groups. I
think we should revise this, as the global group name is hardwired into
Turbine.

>>Web application for delegated administration
>>Web application for a reference implementation (a how-to use
>>this thing)
>>

>I would like to see this written with portlets.

Me too. Ideally beans put into a tool for template access.