From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject RE: How to send a language specific "subject" for new user confir mation e-mail
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2001 18:27:16 GMT
En vie, 2001-11-16 a 23:13, Ignacio J. Ortega escribió:

> > I have updated the new user confirmation email to use a
> > template for the
> > message.  This will allow a language specific "message" to be
> > sent.  To
> > complete the task, I need to send a language specific "subject".
> >
> > Some ways to do this:
> > 1) On way is to use entries in JR.p.
> >     Disadvantage:  Adds a lot of entries to JR.p
> >
> > 2) Use Velocity template for subject.  I am already doing this for
> >     the message body.
> >
> > 3) Use Localization.getString().
> >     Where are the language specific values stored?
> >

> I think the solution is a mix between 2 and 3, use a template but
> localized with Turbine l10n service, this way you get best of both
> worlds a completely costumizable subject with a localized message easily
> configurable..--

If I remember right, the issue was discussed previously. The point of
view of Raphael was that having everything in localised strings would
not work in a templating environment, because (for instance)
right-to-left languages like hebrew or arabic, would call for completely
different layouts and templates.

Nevertheless, there is an issue with regards to login messages (like
"Login Failed: no such user" or "Wrong password". These strings
correspond to system messages and they should be in localised strings.
(I don't really object, I just support your point).

I think the toolbox allows us to have a solution like the one you are
suggesting. The only remaining issue would be to mark those "message"
strings and localise them, as oposed to templates.

> *.properties files is the way to go.., JetspeedLocalization*.java seems
> not used right now.. and it's a very bad format.. almost evry ide has a
> properties edtiro.. so..

Yes, but only for messages. Templates are much cleaner for things like
login portlets, emails,... We just deliver a set of standard templates,
and we can have translation teams delivering Spanish, French, Chinese,
... subtrees + one properties file. This was one of the reasons why I
have always pushed unicode for us. We want a truly global server.