From Atul Dambalkar <adamb...@cisco.com>
Subject RE: 1.3a2 release
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2001 22:02:52 GMT
At 03:02 PM 10/12/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Atul,
>
>Im looking at dbpsml-schema.xml...

>     <column name="PSML_ID" required="true" primaryKey="true"
>             autoIncrement="true" type="INTEGER"/>
>     <column name="USER_NAME" required="true" size="32" type="VARCHAR"/>
>     <column name="MEDIA_TYPE" size="99" type="VARCHAR"/>
>     <column name="LANGUAGE" size="2" type="VARCHAR"/>
>     <column name="COUNTRY" size="2" type="VARCHAR"/>
>     <column name="PAGE" size="99" type="VARCHAR"/>
>     <column name="PROFILE" required="true" type="LONGVARBINARY"/>
>
>     <unique name="JETSPEED_USER_PROFILE_UNIQUE">
>       <unique-column name="USER_NAME" />
>       <unique-column name="MEDIA_TYPE" />
>       <unique-column name="LANGUAGE" />
>       <unique-column name="COUNTRY" />
>       <unique-column name="PAGE" />
>     </unique>
>
>     <index name="JETSPEED_USER_PROFILE_INDEX">
>       <index-column name="USER_NAME" />
>       <index-column name="MEDIA_TYPE" />
>       <index-column name="LANGUAGE" />
>       <index-column name="COUNTRY" />
>       <index-column name="PAGE" />

>Why do you need both:
>
>     <unique name="JETSPEED_USER_PROFILE_UNIQUE"> ...
>
>and
>
>     <index name="JETSPEED_USER_PROFILE_INDEX">
>
>i believe if you just have:
>
>     <unique name="JETSPEED_USER_PROFILE_UNIQUE">
>
>its good enough, the unique index is created.

Precisely..that's what I wanted to search around for SQL specs about the
semantics of Index and Unique constraints, if only Unique constraint is
sufficient and is implemented the same way in all relational databases.

Just get rid of "index" tag and will figure that out while testing on other
databases.

-Atul