From Raphaƫl Luta <raphael.l...@networks.groupvu.com>
Subject Re: Velocity / JSP / XML & XSLT : Why ???
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2001 07:21:23 GMT
Norman Schoneich wrote:

> Jetspeed supports different template engines.
> But in the moment, the default template layout engine is velocity and it'is
> the most supported engine by the jetspeed developers.
> The previous default engine was jsp, but the support (or development
> process) of the jsp layout seems to be stopped.
> I can understand that some people prefer velocity. But every layout engine
> has it's own advantages and disadvanteges. I think Jetspeed
> has to support multiple layout engines, but they must be handled equally.

Agreed on the multiple support, as for the *equal* support it depends a all
on finding people that make sure any given layout system is up to date with
the engine features...
I personnally use Velocity so this is the layout on which I'll work most.

> What's about an XML & XSLT based approach ? Is it possible (or better) to
> render the portlets by the different controllers and then render the result
> with an XSLT file (the portlets use themself xml/xsl, which i use). I like
> this approach the most, because it' s based on open standards unlike
> velocity.

It's possible to use XML & XSLT but not necessarily very easy to manage:
- if each portlet outputs a specific XML dialect/namespace, it's very difficult
   to write an engine that transfoms all these dialects into the target type
   without a complete foreknowledge of the supported XML dialects.

- if each portlet outputs a standard media independent, layout oriented XML

  dialect (FO anybody ?) you can actually post-process the output correctly

   but you need to carefully select your intermediate layout language so that

  it's not to complex/costly to transform.

Also Velcoity is definitely an "open" format since its specification is

publicly available and anybody can write an alternate implementation.
It's just not recognized by an industry committe yet. But then if it fits
your need better, who cares ?

> norsch
>
> Norman Schoneich

Vivendi Universal Networks - Paris